Monday, February 6, 2012

The Making of a Great Minestrone

Tonight I decided to make my grandma proud and make some homemade minestrone soup. I'm typing this blog as I cook the soup. Follow along and try it for yourself. Make your grandma proud. :)


Ingredients needed:
1/2 lb. dry Small White Beans (Frijoles Blancos)                    1 c. zucchini, diced
    1/2 lb. dry Chick Peas                                                                    1 clove garlic, minced
       4 slices bacon, chopped                                                                  1/2 c fresh green beans
        1/2 c. onion, chopped                                                                      1 c. plum tomatoes, diced
   1/2 c. carrots, diced                                                                         2 Beef Bouillon cubes

The first step is to soak the beans. You have two choices here. You can quick soak (<-this is what I'm doing) or overnight soak. For the quick soak method, pour your white beans and chick peas into a stock pot and add 8 cups of hot water. Boil for 2 minutes then set aside for 1 hour. To overnight soak, put the white beans and chick peas in a large bowl, add 8 cups of cold water. Leave overnight. 

Drain and rinse the beans. Then put the beans back into the stockpot. Add 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. [I never said this was a quick recipe.] 
[a little endorsement for my current favorite bacon]
Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; reserve for topping. [I had to cook extra because I ate the first two slices.]
[you can't begin to imagine how amazing my kitchen smells right now]
Drain bacon drippings, leaving about 1 Tbs in the pan & cook the onion, carrots, zucchini and garlic until tender. Add the veggie mix to the beans in the stockpot.

Stir in fresh green beans, plum tomatoes and beef bouillon and cook until beans are tender.


 Serve with reserved bacon and parmesan cheese, if desired. 
[overall it was pretty darn good, but next time I think I'll add a jar of stewed tomatoes too]

I think tomorrow I'll take grandma a bowl of some homemade minestrone soup and see if that makes her smile. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment